A Foxconn insider has leaked the details about Apple’s upcoming iPhone 8, Apple Glasses, e-Ink keyboard, Siri speaker, Macs, and much more.
When questioned about the risk of revealing this information, Foxconn insider said, “It’s a distributed network with thousands of people having exposure to the same information; most of which is already sold to KGI securities and other analysts for their reports. Apple worldwide loyalty team did have central security investigate some divisions after our last post, however.”
The group has apparently been collecting leaks from insiders for four years without any assets compromised.
iPhone 8/X Leaks details
● iPhoneX has x-axis bezel uniform to y-axis; camera module redeveloped; rear camera orientation is vertical on EVT’s.
● Bezels: Almost uniform except for top near face/camera sensors.
● Will the iPhone feature Facial Detection and a Retina Scanner for biometrics? Yes, included in the front facing camera modules.
● Water resistant
● Wireless charging
● Lightning, not USB C as reported
● New battery charging chipset from TI.
● iPhone X production has been delayed, we saw EVT’s without a rear capacitive sensor, but instead, an optical module mounted to the glass substrate. There were issues apparently in being able to manufacture and secondly registering fingerprints.
● EVT did have Touch ID but not the capacitive unit. Instead in manufacturing, it was bonded to the glass substrate.
● The rear panel was composite glass to allow wireless charging. The renders have aluminum unibody which is not accurate.
● The glass not metallic, similar to iPhone 4 approach but with different properties and heat treatment.
Apple Glasses Leaks
● 65% (likelihood to be canceled). A unique design, if it can be done properly will be like what the iPhone did 10 years ago
● AR to mass consumers
● Rough bill of materials of Project Mirrorshades – Apple Iris: Kopin NED Acetate Frame, Polarized or prescription lens with Zeiss smart optics, Bone induction modules, Microphones (noise cancellation), Light sensor, Accelerometer for step tracking and head movement app navigation, Magnetometer for navigation, Capacitive Pavel Ceramic battery Apple chipset Charging circuit BL5 Induction module
● What were colour(s) the frames/arms? Crystal (clear), champagne and black.
● What shade(s) were the lenses? We only saw transparent reader lens but I understand they can procure polarised or prescription lenses
● What finish was allied to the frames/arms? Cellulose acetate Injection mold frames into an aluminum mold. Colors are added and tumbled for finish.
● What shape were the frames and lenses? P3 frame design
● What sizing options did you test? Two sizes, men’s and woman’s
● Price: Usually 4x the BOM cost; it would indicate around $600 mark.
● What control interfaces did the Glasses have? Microphone for voice, accelerator meter and magnetometer for steps could be used for apps like Tinder, a nod for yes, shake for no, small capacitive strip on arm for accept calls, volume functions.
● How do the glasses work? The prism that conveys NED display image to the lens.
● What resolution was the display image on the lens? 428×240 resolution.
● NED in the lens at 3/4 to peripheral of the user field of vision. The project may not go to mass production. Very likely to be canceled. Flexible battery is difficult in mass production. Display prism is delayed also.
● Bone conduction modules in the arms behind the ear
● Tested three designs, one design without a camera, without a screen.
● We would predict given production schedule; announce but not release until later in the year. EVT to DFM went to another EMS so we do not have intelligence
● A modified A9 chip will be in Siri home speaker.
● Key mechanism: Low profile but very different mechanism not by Apple; by Hon Hai JV.
● Will Apple have both Any Key technology AND a Touchbar? Both. Function row is OLED touch bar: remaining keys are e-paper smart keys.
● Timeframe: Still being tested for new custom displays; late 2018 /2019.
● Aluminum unibody instead of the glass chassis on the iPhone X.
● No wireless charging for 7s.
● SOC Update for 2017; incremental update.
● The full hardware design + smart keys are delayed to 2018.
● 2017 Macbooks: updated SOC but no much changes
● Future designs: More glass and dark black body. Reintroduce white apple light.
● Same inputs USB c for MacBooks.
● Yes, MagSafe will return. It’s being tested now so 12-18 months.
● Will MacBook Pros have 32Gb RAM option? Yes for 15 inch MacBook.
● No touch interface except for touch bar. Laptops on the 18-month horizon do not have touch displays.
● This line is discontinued.
● We can confirm the new third iPad size.
● Glucose, sweat, and other such monitors are unlikely until developments in battery technology.